Wednesday, August 12, 2020

There Is No My In We 8/12/2020

Good Morning,

I am wide awake and it is time to write. I feel like taking a cup of Door County Mint Mocha Coffee with me in the Jeep and sipping on it while I drive to work.


I listened to a young couple a few years back as we prepared for their wedding. I was conducting the marriage service and as part of my agreeing to do so, they in turn agreed to meet 6 times for premarital counseling.

Genesis 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one.

What I remember most in the counseling sessions was their constant use of the word my. My car. My house, My Children. My wedding. My family. My my my!

During the second meeting I had already counted at least 5 sentences that used the word my in the first ten minutes. I stopped and asked them if they ever desired to become a "We"? They both  said yes.  So I changed their statements into questions. I asked things like is your house hers, yours, or ours. I asked will the future children be hers, his, or ours? Is this wedding hers, his or ours? They got the point and I let them know that every time they used the word my in a context like "My House"instead of saying our home, I would be correcting them. There is no MY IN WE.

Friends, when we use the word my when the term we should be used. It often leaves a bad taste with the other person in the relationship. Our home is much more inclusive than my home . Kids begin to think they have two different parents when they hear things like "My Kids" instead of our kids. Marriage is a partnership not a dictatorship. Once these words of selfishness enter in, they tend to creep into every circumstance and the bonds of unity begin to fray,

Check yourself and your words. Very often your words are a direct reflection of your heart and all too often we have selfish hearts.

Food for thought.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment