Friday, August 7, 2020

Cheerios And Dried Cherries 8/7/2020

Good Morning,

I am writing today from the patio and enjoying the weather surrounding me on this early Friday morning. My mug was filled with Door County Mocha Mint Coffee and my heart was filled with prayer.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 

I titled today's blog by the name of my breakfast. Note there isn't anything spectacular in this breakfast. Cheerios is my go to healthy breakfast and I always add some type of fruit to my bowl of cereal. Today it just happens to be a favorite fruit of mine. I like unsweetened dried cherries.


The point behind this today is that I could have had biscuits and gravy or steak and eggs. I chose to go back and eat something good for me and something I have been eating since I was old enough to pick up Cheerios off of a tray. I just went back to the basics and found out that the basics are still good and provide a sturdy foundation for the day.

I believe when we go back to the basics of the life God desires for us we find that we are to love Him first with all our heart, mind, soul and strength. We are to be a people of prayer and good works. We are to trust in Jesus for our salvation from sin and accept His gift of redemption by faith. We are to love our neighbors as ourselves and trust that all 66 books of the Bible are the inspired Word of God.

Sometimes we like to add or detract from the basics, We become lazy in our prayer and Bible time. We substitute busyness or a higher level of service, forgetting that the basics set the foundation for the higher callings. You don't build a skyscraper without a firm foundation. Then once the skyscraper is completed remove the structural foundation and hope for the skyscraper to stand. The skyscraper is only as good as the consistency of the foundation.

Feeling like you need to go back to the basics before you take on more? If you feel that you have left the basics behind, you have actually stalled your progress Christian growth.  All the hype in the world cannot be a substitute for faith, the Word, prayer time, and following God's lead.

Have a Cheerio kind of day.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment