Sunday, August 2, 2020

Stuck In The Middle Of The Road 8/2/2020

Good Morning,

The day began with some prayer and a cup of Door County Cherry Creme Coffee. Very soon the smoker will be cranked up and not too long after that the savory smell of smoking pork will be wafting up in the air around our home.

Genesis 1:29 And God said, " Behold I have given you every plant yielding seed on all the face of the Earth, and every tree with seed in it's fruit. You shall have them for food. 

A lot of people like to take an escape on the weekends and drive some of the beautiful country roads in our state. We sure have some beautiful landscape here in this state and the rest of the country. The world has many country roads to travel  and view the beauty and majesty of God's creation.

In our state however and I believe in many areas in the United States your Sunday drive can be slowed down drastically during harvest time on the farms. The huge combines take up both sides of the small country roads when they are moving from a field to a new field, or returning to the barns. Traffic just can't move until they can find a spot to pull over or they turn into the field they are going to harvest. I witnessed this same occurrence in a different country while traveling abroad. A big cart being pulled by a horse took over the road and held up buses, cars and trucks. I am sure these farmers have experienced their share of road rage sent their way from impatient drivers and their passengers.

I have a different view on this. Bear with me for a moment. When I see the combine ahead I see a dedicated worker going to the field. That worker is feeding people through the dedication to his or her calling. I try to remember to say a prayer of thanks for the farmer and I thank God for a crop that he or she is harvesting. They could be harvesting beans, wheat, or corn. Some of this might be used to feed livestock such as beef cattle. And who doesn't like a nice piece of beef on the plate now and then.

Photo Credit Wikipedia

I also see this travel interruption as a sign to slow down and take in the view at a slower speed. If I wanted to travel fast I could have stayed on the highway. When I think deeper and if you know me at all you wouldn't classify me as a "person with deep thoughts", it might seem that I am stuck in the middle of the road going nowhere fast.  But I am in the middle of seeing God at work through the combine. He slows me down to take time to appreciate the food on my table.

I know we get frustrated at times when the road is backed up. But God is just showing you what He has done for you. Tomorrow we will talk about automobile accidents. We will put a dent into that subject.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment