Monday, June 1, 2020

The Christian And Self Defense 6/1/2020

Good Morning,

A little bit of cool weather embraced me this morning which makes this cup of Door County Inn Keepers Blend Coffee that much more important. Coffee to warm my body and the word of God to soothe my soul.


In light of the civil unrest within our nation and the looting that is taking place on a nightly basis I felt the need to be able to protect my family, myself and our property. Demonstrations occurred in our rural community and I am happy to say that they were peaceful and the message of the oppressed was heard.  Only time will tell how improvements can be made in equality and justice.

But as I pondered the potential for violence within our community I weighed the possibility of it impacting our home and our personal safety as low. But seeing the mob mentality and what has happened in other communities lately, the decision was made to keep clear of the demonstration site and stay home. Secondly, we illuminated our yard until things were over.

Thirdly, I am a hunter and I totally support the 2nd Amendment of the right to bear arms. I have a permit to legally carry a fire arm.  I was discussing this with someone yesterday about the fact that my weapon would be very close to me with the intention of protecting us and our home if need be, as well as our neighbors.  This brought about a robust verbal attack on me. My Christianity was questioned as being valid, true or Biblical.

I reminded my verbal challenger who supported his argument that I should be turning the other cheek if slapped, with that Scripture reference. ( Matthew 5: 38-40) The passage is talking about being slapped or hit on the cheek. It didn't say not to defend yourself against someone burning your house or business down or pulling you from a car after your windshield was broken and beating you silly. A lot of people who like to spout off Bible Verses don't study the Bible enough to know there is more to it than the one verse they heard of somewhere.

Luke 22:36-38    36. He said to them, "But now if you have you have a purse, take it,  and also a bag,and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and purchase one. 37. It is written that He was numbered with the transgressors, and I tell that this must be fulfilled in me. yes what was written of me is reaching its fulfillment." 38. The disciples said, "See Lord here are two swords". He replied  "that is enough".

2 Corinthians 11:26-27  26. on my frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; 27. in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. 

Prior to His crucifixion, Jesus revealed to His disciples the future hostility they would face and encouraged them to sell their outer garments in order to purchase a sword. ( Luke 22:36-38,  2 Corinthians 11:26-27.) Here the "sword" is a dagger or short sword that belonged to the Jewish travelers equipment as protection against robbers and wild animals. A plain reading of the passage indicates that Jesus approved of self defense.

In addition "self defense may actually result in one of the greatest examples of human love. Jesus Himself said " Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends". John 15:14
When protecting one's family or neighbor, a Christian is unselfishly risking his or her life for the sake of others. This is not license to retaliate, but to protect our families and neighbors.

I do believe as Christians we are to attempt to be the "Peace Makers" as instructed in the "Sermon On the Mount" . This should always be our first goal. Having a plan for self defense and enacting it as a last resort is being wise.  Last night we also prayed for safety, calm heads and the justice people are seeking. In a peaceful way I will do what I can to ask for and support true reform.

Let there be peace today and let it begin with us.

Marty





1 comment:

  1. Yes, as Christians, God grants us the right to defend ourselves and our families and neighbors.

    ReplyDelete