Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Going Fishing 6/9/2020

Good Morning,

My day began quickly and will run very late tonight. It is a good thing for me to "Coffee Up" with a big mug of Door County Cherry Creme Coffee.  It's time to write.

Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God and the sky above proclaims His handiwork. 



I have been known to go fishing now and then. I did a lot more fishing in my younger days and I even traveled to Ontario a few times to trout fish. I caught the fishing bug when I was a boy. I would stay with my grandparents in the  Upper Peninsula of Michigan for a few weeks every summer. I learned how to fish from my grandfather. We would pick night crawlers after dark for bait. We also trapped our own minnows as another source of live bait. Grandpa used to fish with a fly rod and was very accurate with his casts. Grandpa would smoke a cigar while fishing. He said the smoke kept the mosquitoes away. I think he just liked to smoke a cigar while fishing. The smoke just made my eyes water.

We would be pretty quiet while fishing and not much was said. We would sit in the boat for a couple hours rowing slowly around the small lakes we fished. Most of our talking was on the ride to the lake and on the way home. Grandpa was very good at pointing out the many different things nature had to show us. We would travel down this one gravel road and one day he asked me what I thought the temperature was. I told him that whatever it was, it was very hot. He pointed out a wet spot in the road. "Did you ever notice how that spot is always at least damp even during a bunch of hot days strung together and everything  else is dried up and hard?" was Grandpa's thought of the day. I told him that I never really thought about it, but it sure was an oddity. Grandpa explained that beneath the gravel was a spring that would weep moisture onto the gravel all year long. It didn't freeze in the winter.  He then asked me this question. "Do you believe in God"? I replied "I guess so. It's hard to believe in what you can't see." He went on. "You just saw witness to God. The proof is in all you see in these woods and the lakes, No man could make what you have seen this summer. I believe in God". That was the last words he ever said to me about God.

I hunt a lot now and rarely fish, but I still remember those words. When I see the things of nature I see the hand of God. A lesson well taught by an old man and a lesson well learned by a boy.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment