Saturday, June 27, 2020

A Bolt Cutter Was Needed 6/27/2020

Good Morning,

I was awake about an hour ago and I was wondering why I couldn't smell any Door County Cherry Creme Coffee brewing. I wandered into the kitchen and much to my surprise the pot I had ready to brew automatically was just sitting there doing nothing. I hadn't turned the timer on before I went to bed.  Not good! But now after correcting my mistake, I am ready to write.


Philippians 4:6  Don't worry about anything, but pray over everything. With thankful hearts offer up your prayers and  requests to God.

Yesterday I was fashioning a new lock set up for some of my hunting equipment. What was needed was a piece of chain about 16 inches long. I went into the garage to check out my chain stock and found that I had all kinds of chain, but none close to the size required for my little project. They were either too short or way too long. I found the style and weight I was looking for and now it had to be cut. Surely a chisel and hammer would do the trick. I took the chain outside to my chopping block, with a chisel and a small sledge hammer. I pounded on that chain and like I expected this was a hardened chain. I remember them cutting it for me at the hardware store. They used a hydraulic cutter for the chore. I went back and found a lighter piece of chain and went to cut it with the chisel, only to discover that I had really dulled up my good chisel and it would need to be ground back to conformity.

The one thing I needed was a bolt cutter and why I don't own one I will never know. I called my friend to borrow one, but he was in bed early last night. My wife looked at me and asked. " How important is it for you to complete this tonight, and why"?

I really had no good answer to that question. It was a task that I started and I was obsessed with finishing it. Rene said "can't it wait until tomorrow"? She was correct and I put the project away. At midnight I was tossing and turning in bed, trying to think of a way to cut the chains without borrowing a bolt cutter. I even decided it was time to purchase one.

Friends, sometimes we need to get our priorities straight and not let one, that is not that important rule over us and cause us to have anxiety. Thinking about it instead of sleeping was just plain foolish.

This morning as I write with heavy eyes I am reminded of my foolishness. I was chained to a thought and task that just wasn't  important enough to lose sleep over.

Friends, think things like this through. Allow enough time for a project. Know when to quit and let it go.  Don't let your project rule you. You rule the project. I hadn't prayed over my task. Lesson learned once again the hard way.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment