Saturday, April 20, 2019

That Day In Between Friday And Easter 4/20/2019

Good Morning,

I started this day with prayer and a hot cup of Door County White Christmas Coffee. You are probably thinking that this old boy doesn't know that it is spring and tomorrow is Easter. I am of sound mind and body today. The White Christmas Coffee is one of my favorite blends and I just felt like treating myself to something special today.



We have all experienced the day after the death of a beloved family member or a dear friend. The day of their passing finds us in shock, filled with adrenaline, wondering why, how, what more we could have done, do we have to travel, or where is all that paperwork? Our minds race at 100 miles per hour while we are in deep anguish. I have experienced these days and I dread any more that are to come.

Then comes the next day when reality has really set in and you are exhausted, yet things need to be done or you are in the middle of traveling to a destination. Your appetite is gone. The socks you are wearing don't match, and you really don't care. You are numb and just going through the motions. Activities have slowed down and you are most of the time deep in thought.

Jesus had family members and many followers who on the day after His death were going through what we have experienced in our own lives. They forgot what He taught them. The cross was empty and the tomb was filled.


Matthew 17:22-23 New King James Version (NKJV)
Jesus Again Predicts His Death and Resurrection

22 Now while they were staying in Galilee, Jesus said to them, “The Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men, 23 and they will kill Him, and the third day He will be raised up.” And they were exceedingly sorrowful.

For me Easter weekend is very personal. I always write on Good Friday and about the suffering and death Jesus experienced on behalf of me and my sins. On Saturday I  experience the thought that Jesus, body (Only His Body) is still laying in a tomb because of me.

Luke 23:39-43 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
39 One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, “Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!” 40 But the other answered, and rebuking him said, “Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” 42 And he was saying, “Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!” 43 And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”

Now you and I know the rest of the story. On Easter Sunday God raised Jesus from the grave and we celebrate His power over death and sin. Our price was paid once and for all time. So in a little while I will drop the reflective mood and prepare my heart to worship and serve tonight and tomorrow.

I am asking all of you to do the same. Reflect on what was done for you. But prepare yourself in prayer to celebrate, worship and serve tomorrow. Put Easter Sunday in the right perspective. Lay out your clothes tonight. Make sure you can arrive at church on time.  Be there ready to worship. Jesus deserves your best every Sunday, but more so tomorrow. The egg hunt and jelly beans can wait until later. Go and experience a Risen Savior like never before.

God Bless,

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment