Tuesday, July 3, 2018

When Those In Need Assist Others 7/3/2018

Good Morning,

Tuesday has arrived as promised and it is a warm one here already. I just finished pouring a cup of Door County Blueberry Cobbler Coffee and now it is time to write.

Rene and I have been blessed with a good life. We've always had a warm house in the winter, a cool house in the summer and a decent car or two. Our pantry has always had enough and the freezer is usually full. We have always been comfortable and we have always had enough to share. Sharing is something we like to do and it has been a vow in our marriage to help others when we can.

A few summers ago while in Haiti on a mission trip the heat got to me and while walking down a dirt road I passed out and woke up in the home of the local pastor. I was surrounded by kids and I was with a good friend of mine. All of a sudden the role was reversed and these very poor people were sharing water and ice with me. They gave me a seat in the shade and cool rags to comfort me and reduce my body temperature. Some of the poorest people around were sharing what they had to comfort someone else. Their heart was in the right place. They welcomed a stranger into their yard and took care of him. If you ask me how I felt about those in need easing my burden, I felt guilty taking from those who had so many needs. Later I thanked them and I knew not to offer them money. It would have hurt their feelings. I asked if there was anything I could do for them and they asked me to pray for their family. My friend and I did so. We were able to return later twith some cold Pepsi's and bless them in return.

Luke 10:25-37 New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Good Samaritan
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”
27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’ and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.”
28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”
29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

I learned a lesson there. God humbles us and placed me in a situation where my pride could not get the best of me. He taught me that I might be leading a mission trip but He held the keys to my needs and He would use those who were willing to be used to help me. I needed God and that family more than they needed me. Not only did I find myself with strangers at my weakest, but I was treated with the love of Jesus. I can still see their smiles.

Never turn down help because of pride. It's just God using others to bless you. And by refusing to accept the help you are robbing others of the experience God led them to.

Have a great day. Swallow your pride.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment