Monday, July 23, 2018

Paying It Forward 7/23/2018

Good Morning,

Monday showed up again after I asked it to wait for a day. Oh well, the Door County Chocolate Cherry Coffee is done brewing and it is time to write.

Luke 6:31 New International Version (NIV)
31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Last night I was the recipient of an act of kindness. After dinner I went to the local gas station just to pick up a gallon of milk and 5 bananas. On the way into the store I held the door open for three ladies I would assume about forty years old. Each one of them thanked me and I replied with a "you are welcome mam". I went about my chore and the ladies made their purchases. They paid and left. When I went to pay for the milk and bananas the store clerk wouldn't take any money from me. He explained that the three ladies had already paid for my purchase. I was a bit confused as to why they would do something like that. He told me that they said it has been a long time since anyone held a door for them let alone address them as mam.


I left feeling a little guilty for having had someone purchase our milk and bananas. We certainly can afford the groceries. People do kind things for others all the time and I found this type of giving of the heart very nice. But all I did was be respectful to the ladies. It's a shame that they had to make notice of it because it doesn't happen too often anymore. I went home feeling good and bad. I was rewarded for being respectful, but it wasn't worth a gift. I felt bad that the world has stopped paying respect to others on a regular basis. It shouldn't stand out as abnormal. It should be the normal act of kindness we show to others.

Confused today to say the least. Where is respect? Is it out there?

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment