Monday, July 2, 2018

Cutting Firewood And Meeting People 7/2/2018

Good Morning,

Monday is here for sure. I can hear and smell the Door County White Christmas Coffee brewing in the kitchen. Makes me want to see snow today.



Yesterday after church I spent some quality time in between rain showers splitting firewood for the winter in our yard. People would walk by and say hi and they would keep walking to their destination. Later I was cleaning up the mess I made and this one young lady walked by for the third time. I waved hello to her and she stopped and said "can I ask you a question"? Never one to refuse to chat I said "yes". She explained how she noticed me working on one of our wood piles and that she had watched me stack it. She asked why I was so particular as to how it is stacked. She had observed me moving pieces around to get a good snug fit in the rack, yet allowing some room for air to dry out the wood.

I explained my madness to her and she replied "makes sense". She hung around for a minute or two and I could tell that there was something else on her mind. She explained that she was visiting as a student in the area and went for long walks in our neighborhood and she had noticed me reading my Bible last week while sitting out in front of our house. She explained to me that she had never read a Bible because of her beliefs. The young lady found it peculiar that I would read casually in my front yard. She asked me how often I read mine and the answer was simple. Daily.

She said she heard that the sentences are called verses and she wondered if I would repeat one for her. I recited one that I have memorized.
 
2 Timothy 3:16-17 New International Version (NIV)
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

I asked her if she would like a Bible and she said that she would like one but she really shouldn't take one. Her next question was strange. She said " If your Bible is the word of God, why would you be willing to give one away? I let her know that I have many Bibles and giving her one would not harm me at all. She declined my offer for a Bible and I said that I would leave it on the bumper of my truck if she changed her mind. Later when I went out with the dog, the Bible was gone. I wonder?

Many people take the luxury of owning a Bible and being able to read it for granted. It should not be strange to people that we would read our Bible outside and daily. Out Bibles should not be collecting dust, but should be used daily. What if you were told you couldn't own one or read it anymore? Would it be a loss to you? I would be lost without it.

Food for thought.

Marty

2 comments:

  1. Love this opportunity to share with someone looking for God. Right time, right place. May God bless it & her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it was the lady that took the Bible. I can only wonder.

      Delete