Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The First Robin In The Tree 2/28/2018

Good Morning,

I woke up to the aroma of Door County Irish Cream Coffee brewing in the kitchen and a dog sleeping on my feet. Life is good and I am glad to be here.

Yesterday when I arrived home from work I happened to look up into one of our  trees and there it was, my first robin. From the time I was a little boy until now I always watch for my first robin of the spring and I announce it to the first person I see. My mother and I played that game until I was about twelve years old and we would see who could spot the first one. The robin I saw yesterday actually was a little chubby and looked like it had wintered very well. It hopped from branch to branch eating something off of the bark of the tree. It might be a female looking for a place to nest. I am  not sure, but we usually are the home to three or four nests every year.



Seeing that robin was a treat for me and took me back to the early 1960s and being outside when my mother knocked on the window to show me the robin in our neighbor's plum tree. That started the tradition. I have been working some long hours and it has been a struggle. But God knew just what would cheer me up. He sent that robin for me to watch and then flooded my mind with fond memories. 15 minutes spent outside and I reviewed half of my childhood. I recalled my prayer of earlier in the afternoon and it went like this. "Lord I need a break". God not only caused me to slow down, He sent some entertainment and just every now and then even old tough guys have to think about their mother.

Matthew 6:8 New King James Version (NKJV)
“Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

It was time well spent and I am better for it. God knows what you need better than you do. Let Him help you rest.

God bless.

Marty

2 comments:

  1. Love ya Brother! So glad God gave you an encouraging morning. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir. Everyone needs one of those now and then. Love you Brother.

      Delete