Friday, February 16, 2018

Another School Shooting 12/16/2018

Good Morning,

My eyes are looking ahead to Saturday and I can't wait. My mug was just filled with Door County Swedish  Lingonberry Tart Coffee. It's time to write.



Friends, my heart is heavy today with grief and sympathy for those who experienced loss in the most recent school shooting. The State of Florida is reeling from this attack on life and the whole nation is numb.

Psalm 23 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Lord the Shepherd of His People

A Psalm of David.

23 The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell[ in the house of the Lord
Forever.

I have no sure fire solutions to these acts of evil except to say that it is time for the local churches to reach out to those who are grieving at this time. I have no doubt that they are working as direct extensions of God's hands. It is now time for the churches around the world to pray and lift these people up, and assist the local churches if they have needs in assisting those hurting families.

What is unusual about this tragedy is that the shooter survived. Most of the time, they take their own life or are shot by law enforcement during their capture. This young man is behind bars and from what has been in the news he has lived a troubled past. There is no excuse for what he did. But as Christians we need to pray for him also. I can't imagine what went through his mind at the time of his rampage or what he is thinking right now. This will be hard for those who are closest to the disaster. No one who hasn't experienced this type of loss can even identify with them. I hope I never have the ability to say "I know how you feel". So for those of us miles away we should stay vigilant in prayer, listen for needs of those grieving, and fulfill those needs.

Then, watch for the one person who doesn't fit in. We need to be inclusive to those who seem odd and are loners. We need to show them the love of Jesus. We can impact the world one person at a time. Be a parent to the parentless. Make sure that no lonely teenager stands alone.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment