Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Nothing Like A Good Candy Bar 1/17/2018

Good Morning,

I am glad to be here and sipping on a cup of Door County German Chocolate Cake Coffee. This just happens to be Wednesday and it means we are half way through the work week. I foresee some ham and eggs for dinner tonight after a few chores are finished. Everything in between now and then is just filler for the day.

I have been known to skip lunch and instead of eating my sandwich or salad I will purchase a candy bar. I then take a short break, with a half cup of coffee and enjoy the snack. I have a few favorites but my all time favorite is a Hershey Milk Chocolate Bar.


                                               
I purchased one yesterday and while I was dining on the chocolate delight my mind wandered to my childhood and an Uncle of mine. He lived next door to us and would often take me along to the grocery store with him. My mother would give me some money and I would go with my Uncle and he would do a little shopping and I would pick up whatever it was that my mother needed. I used to watch my packages pretty closely but somehow he would  toss in two candy bars now and then. One for me and one for my sister. My brother had not arrived on the scene yet. I would come home and there they would be, two chocolate desserts. My mother would quiz me as to how those candy bars were purchased and then she would let us eat half. We had to save the other half for the next day. I believe she knew where the candy bars were coming from. It's hard to believe that two people I loved were messing with my young mind. Ha.

I remember those days fondly and really don't have any kids around anymore to treat with candy bars. But from time to time kids will appear at our door selling candy bars for a cause. I watch Rene who is diabetic and cannot eat the bars ask the child which one they like best. When they reply, she purchases their favorite and then gives it back to them and says, "Enjoy". Now most kids have no idea as to how to respond. Rene gets a thank you and the kid leaves shaking their head, but with a candy bar.

Friends, even kids have a bad day. You never know what is going on in their life. Just every now and then a kid needs a candy bar. By treating them to a snack you are showing them unmerited kindness and that the world can be a nice place. She has me doing the same thing. She does it because she is a nice person. I just enjoy watching the kids leave, shaking their heads in disbelief.
1 Peter 4:9       

 Be hospitable to one another without complaint.


Have a great day. I pray you do!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment