Tuesday, January 23, 2018

A Security Blanket 1/23/2018

Good Morning,

I want to say that this morning rolled in like a train that hasn't any brakes. But I believe a little Door County Highlander Grog Coffee might set things straight.



I have been battling the flu for the last few days and my sleep habits are to say the least "erratic". I have been getting most of my sleep on the couch. To stay warm, my lovely wife equipped me with a blanket that we placed at the foot of one of our beds. The blanket was made by my mother and works just right to remove the chills and keep an ill body warm.

When I covered up with the blanket the other night I wondered if when my mother made it she envisioned her 60 year old son wrapping himself up on a cold winters night, fighting off an illness. I will never know, but there was something about being wrapped up in a blanket my mother made that made me feel good. I took some time during my prayers to thank God for giving me a mother who loved us and  in a way was still taking care of me. I guess you could say that Mom's baby had his blanket. 

A little later I found myself warm but not able to sleep. I turned on a light and began to read my Bible. I ran through the pages and looked at a lot of the notes etched inside. Years and years of notes jotted down when God spoke to me are there. I could hardly believe that an hour had passed and I was still reading my notes. I reached the book of Isaiah where I have many, many  notes,  and God spoke again.

Isaiah 49:15-16 New International Version (NIV)
15 “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
    and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget,
    I will not forget you!
16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
    your walls are ever before me

The blanket reminded me of my mother's love and it gave me a sense of security. Then I read about the love of our heavenly Father and those words just seemed to take the blanket and pull it up around me and shortly after that I fell asleep for a few hours. God's Word was a heavenly security blanket that soothed my soul and actually provided rest.

We all need to go to the medicine chest called the Bible from time to time and let the Great Physician provide a Word to soothe the soul. It's there and you don't need a prescription.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment