Thursday, January 18, 2018

Meat Lovers Pizza 1/18/2018

Good Morning,

What a roller coaster the weather has been. First frigid cold and then a warm up three days later. But don't we all pay more money to ride the roller coaster at the fair? At least this ride is free. I just heard the Door County Kona Blend Coffee start to brew in the kitchen. I am blessed beyond measure.

One nice thing about pizza is that it now comes with many different toppings, more than when I was kid. There is quite a variety of pizzas including one with ham and pineapple. I had a slice of that style last week. I can't say I would eat it again. For me fruit on a pizza is like eating pickles on ice cream.  I for one like plenty of meat on my pizza. I like sweet Italian sausage and plenty of pepperoni topped with onions, olives, mushrooms and green peppers. I go light on the cheese. But I expect to have every inch of my pizza covered with meat.



To me, anything less than meat is just an appetizer, not a pizza. Now in all seriousness, everyone should order or make what they like best. We all have different tastes, to each their own.

When it comes to reading a Bible, I never tell anyone what version to read. My personal goal with the Word of God is to dine on the meat of the Word. What does that mean?

1 Corinthians 3New International Version (NIV)

The Church and Its Leaders

Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans?

The word “milk” in the above quote (Greek gala) means the basic, elemental teachings of Christianity first learned by new believers according to Vine’s Expository Dictionary of the Old and New Testaments. The word “meat” in 1Corinthians is from the Greek word “Broma”. Its’ Strong’s number is G1033. It means the deeper, more complete teachings of God’s Word.
Paul addressed several church-related problems in his first letter to the Corinthians. There was one problem that he knew was carnal. This problem was evidence of their spiritual immaturity. Some in Corinth had aligned themselves to certain teachers (Paul, Apollos, Peter). They were causing contentions and divisions in the church by arguing about which preacher was the most spiritual (verses 3 – 23)! Paul thought that teaching the church the deeper truths of God would be a waste of time. After all how could they understand the deeper principles of the scriptures if they continued to entangle themselves in petty debates over who was ‘the greatest!’

They had not grown beyond living for themselves. They were not ready to dig deeper into their relationship with God. They were stuck on the emotions of religion and not a resurrected faith. Their lack of maturity was holding them back from the real spiritual food.

As we teach babies to feed themselves, we are patient and allow them to dine on the easier things to eat. We all know that eventually for growth and health they must move beyond milk and cereal.  But they have to be taught to chew well and for a time they need someone to cut the meat. I suggest for those who want to grow in their faith and walk with God, they should  attend a Bible study on a weekly or daily basis. There you dine on the meat and do not have to choke on anything. You can learn as a group and ask questions if need be.

Meat anyone?

Love ya,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment