Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Couple Who Prays 9/15/2017

Good Morning,

Friday is here and I am embracing the day with gusto and hope. My mug was just filled with Door County Caramel Apple Coffee and I will need it to stay awake. My day ran into the night a little late yesterday.

Matthew 6:9-13New International Version (NIV)
“This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from the evil one.

I am proud to say that we are personally friends with a couple who just celebrated 60 years of marriage. I think 60 years of marriage is a huge blessing and an accomplishment worth mentioning. I was having a cup of coffee with my friend and I asked him what he enjoys about being married. He laughed when I asked that question and said to me "There are so many things, that I can't pick just one. But if I were to choose one it would be prayer".



My friend went on to explain how when he was single he used to pray for a job, a wife and a family, in that order. He said that he enjoyed a pretty good prayer life when he was single, but he enjoyed praying much more after he and his wife met. Before going out on a date they would pray together with her parents and ask God to be with them on their date. Imagine that parents of teens!!! Once they were married, he still had time alone in prayer, but he and his wife would find time each day to pray together. They still do this today. He teared up a little as he recalled them praying over the bed of each of their newborn children asking for their health, welfare and life's choices. "I remember praying and holding my wife's hand as we were told that one of our babies wouldn't live longer than 24 hours, I was never closer to my wife than at that time. We just celebrated his 57th birthday. God heard us and granted our pleas."

He went on to say. "We had times when we were both cross with each other, but we always prayed together before bed. We both admitted that it was impossible to pray with each other if we were angry. You can't go before God with an angry heart. You have to be right with God to pray. So we got over ourselves before we prayed and whatever we were upset about just seemed to fade. It still does".

My friend is one who I go to for prayer now and then and he always asks if he can share my request with his wife. They can be counted on for prayer. My friend has a fear though. "I dread the day when one of us has to pray alone. But I have no doubt that whatever circumstance we face alone, the one surviving will still pray.

Now, why aren't more couples praying together?  Couples share intimacy and that is an expectation of marriage. But I do believe that a couple who goes to God together, shares times that are so special that the word intimate cannot describe it.

Now there's some Friday food for thought.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment