Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Honor, Respect With Chicken And Dumplings 9/26/2017

Good Morning,

My ambition already left today. I have been fighting a cold that has kicked my butt for three days now. I haven't felt like this for a long time. I apologize for not writing yesterday. It was just too difficult. I just poured an extra hot cup of door Count Wisconsin Harvest Blend Coffee and peeled an orange for breakfast.

I want to continue through to the end of the month looking at Godly principles that can make life easier and less confusing.  Here is one more.



It's funny, but when I get sick and I am sixty years old now, I still think about my mother and how she would always be there if one of us kids needed her. She would strive to make a dish that she was sure had the cure for what ailed us. Mom went on to be with the Lord a few years ago. But I still think about her and my Dad and wish that I had the chance to say a few last words to them. I would tell them thank you for a whole lot of things and I would probably apologize for being the knucklehead I was and still am. I would be more grateful for a big bowl of chicken and dumplings. "The cure all"

If I had been accustomed to giving them unconditional honor and respect from childhood on, I wouldn't be writing about regrets. That was a hard lesson for me to learn. If I were to pass on some aged wisdom I would advise young people to really live this commandment. It will help you to realize that you are never too old to be worried about. You are never too old to be hugged. You are never too old to be corrected. You never too old to be loved. You will never have enough time with your parents. You think you've had enough until you can't have anymore. You never really know as much as your parents. Remember, they taught you how to wipe your butt and they would always do it again.

Exodus 20:12New International Version (NIV)
12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

Once we establish and practice honoring our parents we will find it easier to get along with others. God never said in Exodus 20:12 that we should honor only perfect parents. Perfect parents don't exist. Parents make mistakes. The first time they raised a child was with the firstborn of your family. The first teenager in the family was their first chance at raising a teen. Some parents are far from perfect, yet God said to honor them. Without them you wouldn't exist. This does not change with age.

So today I would welcome that bowl of chicken and dumplings from Mom, advice from my Dad to slow down and rest, and I would remember to say I love you and thank you.

Have a great day,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment