Tuesday, April 4, 2017

When The Play Sucks. Drug Addicts And Family 4/4/2017

Good Morning,

My name could be "Grumpy" today. I am hoping prayer and some time in my Bible will change that disposition. So my Door County Turtles In A Cup Coffee needs to soften a couple of hard cookies before I can eat them. The mug is doing double duty today.

Isaiah 40:31English Standard Version (ESV)
31 but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
    they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
    they shall walk and not faint.

I am not one who enjoys going to the theater to watch a play. I am a movie kind of guy. Some of the plays I have attended were pretty good and entertained me well enough to stay for the whole thing. But there were the other ones that after watching ten minutes of the dribble I was already late for the door. Jumping from the balcony and running to an emergency exit crossed my mind several times. I once attended a production that had a half time or what they called an intermission. I couldn't imagine one more minute of people forgetting their lines or just plain blanking out. I wanted to pay for my ticket again, just hoping they would earn enough money and quit. Thus saving some other poor slug like me from having to watch and listen.



Now that is just how a family member who has a drug addict child or sibling feels. They did not purchase a ticket for this play. And with each rise there is always a fall. They see no end to the play, the popcorn is stale and the soda is flat. They start to imagine the end, any end, whether it is a happy ending or a sad one, they just want to see an end to the nightmare of life's play.

The toll that drug addiction takes on family members and friends, is at times more devastating than what is happening to the addict. The addict just gets high and forgets what they did. Their family and friends have to watch this play and they cannot rewrite a single line. They get an intermission from time to time, but eventually the pain of another chapter is written.

How can we help? I am not sure what we can do, except to love the addict as much as they let us and
just be there for the family or friends.

Speak to the family and friends with love, compassion and Scripture. Assure them that they are loved and prayed for. You might not be able to fully understand their pain, guilt or embarrassment and hopefully you never will, but you have the gift of love to share with them. It might not be good cheer that they need. It could be that they want someone to cry with them. Become all things to each other as needed.

The family and friends of addicts hurt today. What can you do to help?

Pray much, and when you are done, pray again. If it comes to a time that warrants mourning, mourn with them and then help to set them back on their feet. Remind them that God sees their tears and grieves with them. Hold them up when needed. Remind them that others need them. Do it all with the heart of Jesus.

God bless,

Marty

2 comments:

  1. Very similar to families with loved ones that suffer from mental illness. Keep loving, praying and being there for them.

    ReplyDelete