Saturday, April 15, 2017

Never An Easy Chore 4/15/2017

Good Morning,

I am writing today and wishing that I had a cup of Door County Cherry Crème Coffee with me. I am traveling with my Nephew/Sidekick Nick. We are currently in the North Woods Of Upper Michigan. My wife stayed home and is in good company with our Springer Spaniel Gibbs. I would bet that he enjoyed my side of the bed last night.



Nick and I are here to check on my Dad's house. Dad passed away in November 2016 and we closed his little lake home up for the winter. Now as spring is here, it is time to resume cleaning out the house and preparing it for sale. There is much paperwork to still be completed and the first order of the day is a trip to the bank to change names on a checking account. We have been away from here since late November and most of the estate paperwork was completed from my home in Wisconsin. The day is dreary and it adds to my heavy heart.

Why am I writing this to all of you today? Here's the answer. We cannot change time and I cannot go back and make it April 2016 again. In April of 2016 we were sending Dad on a war veterans honor flight. It was a big family celebration. It was a huge family event for all of us. When I get to his house I won't be greeted by a smile and a hot cup of very strong coffee. In the middle of all  the work to be done and assessed today there will still be the taste of misery.

What I am advising all of you to do today is this. If your parents are still with you make sure to call them today, or visit, or write. Dad's accidental death took us all by surprise and we never got that one last birthday party in. We cannot assume another day will be here for anyone. We need to make each day count and make sure our loved ones know we are there, love them and care about them. Death is final and we cannot do anything to stop it. So don't pass on the chance to talk and share feelings with your loved ones.

Ecclesiastes 3New International Version (NIV)

A Time for Everything

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace
There is a time to visit, and  a time to call. Make sure to do that today, before there is just some estate chores to do and memories to live on.
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment