Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Fill The House 4/26/2017

Good Morning,

This day I choose to try a new coffee flavor. I just finished brewing Door County Swedish Lingonberry Tart Coffee. It smells stiff and strong. I am all about the flavor though. It is a coffee that I like but I think I would enjoy it more on a cold January day while chopping wood outside.



Luke 14:16-24New International Version (NIV)
16 Jesus replied: “A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. 17 At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, ‘Come, for everything is now ready.’
18 “But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, ‘I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.’
19 “Another said, ‘I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.’
20 “Still another said, ‘I just got married, so I can’t come.’
21 “The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.’
22 “‘Sir,’ the servant said, ‘what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.’
23 “Then the master told his servant, ‘Go out to the roads and country lanes and compel them to come in, so that my house will be full. 24 I tell you, not one of those who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.’”
 


Compel them - That is, urge them, press them earnestly, one and all. Do not hear their excuses on account of their poverty and low rank of life, but urge them so as to overcome their objections and lead them to the feast. This expresses the "earnestness" of the man; his anxiety that his table should be filled, and his purpose not to reject any on account of their poverty, or ignorance, or want of apparel. So God is earnest in regard to the most polluted and vile. He commands his servants, his ministers, to "urge" them to come, to "press" on them the salvation of the gospel, and to use all the means in their power to bring into heaven poor and needy sinners.


In this parable we see the heart of God in writing. Many guests had turned down the offer of the rich man to come to his home for a great dinner. His servants were tp extend invitations to his friends and important people of the community. All returned the invitation with excuses as to why they could not attend. So the master re-instructed his servant to go out and do not pass anyone up.

The message of Jesus Christ is made for a diverse audience. We cannot exclude anyone because of their place in life. We are to pursue those who the world sees as "discards". Jesus is for everyone.

When was the last time you went out of your way to invite someone to church? Seems odd that you would want to keep your relationship with Christ a secret to those around you.

Think it through. Is your church full? Why not?

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment