Sunday, January 8, 2017

Being Productive 1/8/2017

Good Morning,

I was up early today and was busy before the Door County Highlander Grog Coffee started to brew. With a couple things out of the way, a fire has been started and the house is warming up and now it is time to write.

Last night after our Saturday evening church service, Rene and I stopped to have a bite to eat. During dinner we both discussed what needed to be done today. Rene is headed out to assist her mother with some cleaning and laundry. Mother is up there in years now and just needs a little help. The cold spell we are in, depleted all of the firewood I hauled inside last week. I used the last of it this morning. There is plenty more outside but it needs to be brought in. That is one of my goals. I always like to send Rene with a meal or two for her Mom so the Swedish meatballs are simmering as I write. I also made up a big pot of Italian beef stew which will be our lunches for the week as well as a big pot of chicken soup. The bread buns I set out to rise at 2 AM have just come out of the oven.  But man does not live by Swedish meatballs, stew, soup, and buns.



So, I want you to know that I am not bragging about the accomplishments of the day so far. But what I want us to look at is this. In the middle of this busy day both of us set aside some time for Bible study and prayer. Our Men's Ministry at church is studying a great book and Rene decided to study it also. It is full of Christian theology in a format that leads to an in depth discussion and the truth on life after death. The book is named "The Paradise Of God" by Dr. Larry Ollison.  I am thoroughly enjoying it. It has many Scripture references and if you take time to look things up and verify all that is being quoted, the book will take a long time to finish. I read it through once already in a month, but now the actual study is taking me weeks and weeks.

I have a lot of other things on my to do list, but I needed to carve out quiet time with God. We cannot become so busy that God becomes one of many menu choices or options for the day. When God becomes and option He really has become no option at all. This is my number one goal for the day.

Matthew 4:4New International Version (NIV)
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.

If I accomplish the goals of the day and do not spend time alone with God I have wasted a day. It's like eating carrot cake without frosting. A good dessert but something is missing. The sweetness of the day, full of spiritual nutrition, love and guidance is found in time alone with God.

Slow down, God is waiting to hear from you today,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment