Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Little Things That Don't Mean Anything 12/31/2016

Good Morning,

I can't tell you how good the Door County Inn Keepers Blend Coffee tastes this morning when it is combined with a cold house that is slowly being warmed up by a nice fire in the fireplace. It is all especially nice because I am not in a hurry to go anywhere today.



I am a peculiar person to say the least. I have a lot of idiosyncrasies that are unique to only me. We all have been "wired" differently at birth. These small things make us who we are and most of the time are harmless to us or anyone else.

For instance my coffee maker is usually set for 4:50 AM unless it needs to be earlier. I am awake at 4:45 daily just before the coffee starts to perk. I get out of bed at 5:00 AM and head to the kitchen for my cup of java. But the coffee maker does not make the coffee hot enough for me. I place my mug in the microwave and then proceed to heat it for 19 seconds. No more or no less. Why 19 seconds instead of 20  or 18. I have no clue why. It just seems to taste perfect when I do.

I like to eat , but I eat one entrée on my plate at a time. So if the carrots seem to appeal to me before the chicken, the carrots go first. Why???? Again I have no clue. I do so many little weird things that I could write a book. I put pepper on all my food. This drove my Dad crazy and he would tell me how I reminded him of some relative of his. He would say "that pepper is going to kill you some day." This would all be said while he was sprinkling salt all over his food before he even tasted it. I was always laughing on the inside, while thinking "all this from the guy who eats popcorn with a spoon???"

The point I am trying to make is this. We are all different and some of our stupid little habits really do not mean a thing and do not hurt anyone. People will spend hours worrying about how weird others are just because of the small things that they do and why. God made us differently.

But we all have one main thing in common. We were made to be relational. God created us to have a relationship with Him. It all started with Adam. God created Adam and then gave him assignments of work. He walked in the garden of Eden and talked to Adam. This is a relationship.

Nothing has changed since the beginning of time. God still desires a relationship with us. But the closeness of the relationship or to have a relationship at all is our choice. And as much effort as we put into the relationship causes God to draw closer to us also. Most relationships start with one person reaching out first to the other person. God did this by sending His Son to die for our sins and for Jesus to bridge the gap between man and God. Then He promises us to always draw as close to us as we allow Him to. He doesn't care how hot our coffee is or if we eat our carrots first. He loves us the way He made us. We spend so much time combing our hair ( I don't have to) and fixing our outward appearance that we forget about our relationship with God. This is what is important people! Wasting time wondering why I heat my coffee for 19 seconds is just useless. I could care less what people think. I do however care about what God thinks about the inner man and how I live my life and whether or not I spend enough time with Him. I need this relationship more than I need hot coffee.

James 4:8New King James Version (NKJV)
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

So today instead of worrying about little things and why you or someone you know does things that bug you, pray for you relationship with God to be as close as it can be. Pray that same thing for others. And let the little things, stay little and pay them no time. Some people drink cold coffee and I think that is nuts. But it keeps the cold coffee suppliers in business so who really cares!!

God bless,

Marty




No comments:

Post a Comment