Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Till Death Separates Us 12/27/2016

Good Morning,

The Door County Pecan Caramel Scones Coffee better come quick today. Sleep seemed to elude me last night. The aroma of the coffee is great, but it's the liquid I look forward to.



Last night I met with a young couple that will be getting married this week on Thursday night. We were working on some details for the wedding and writing the ceremony. My first draft of the vows was what they wanted. I asked them to look up the Bible verses that I have included in the vows and the exchange of the rings. I told them we could add one more verse from the passage. The verse talks about not separating until death. Earlier we had discussed the word divorce and that the best thing for them to do is to drop the word from their vocabulary. This is not an option for a Christian couple starting out or later in life. It's just not an option. Things were going fine until we discussed until death separates us. Both of them teared up as the thought of either one of them passing away entered their minds. I was touched to say the least. But death is the only thing that should separate two people in marriage. I think for these kids, that thought cemented where they are headed and they both knew that this marriage needs to last until God calls one of them home.

Ruth 1:16-17New International Version (NIV)
16 But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.”

Today I am asking all of you married folks to look at your spouse and recommit to each other your vow until death do we part. Let any little squabbles stay little, let any temptations cease, and reach out together to God and ask Him to bless your marriage.

Go ahead. start the New Year all Renewed.


Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment