Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Teach Children To Pick Up. 12/14/2016

Good Morning,

My day has started early and I am sitting outside on a patio drinking some Door County Hot Buttered Rum Coffee. It has a distinct flavor that I think would go great on a Saturday morning with our fireplace glowing on a cold morning in Wisconsin.



We enjoyed a wonderful day with our daughter and son in law yesterday, but I think we "over indulged". I should have skipped the Red Velvet Cupcake. When we arrived back at the resort I was feeling a little guilty so I returned to the basketball court for a work out. This resort has four basketball courts with plenty of basketballs for everyone.

On the court next to me, a family of four was shooting baskets, and playing a game of horse. They finished their game and started to leave. Now each one of them had a basketball. There is a ball rack for the basketballs to be put away neatly. When this family started to leave the mother asked the father "should we pick up the balls"? His answer stunned me. "No, people get paid to pick up things here, they can earn their money." Later, I was the last one to leave and I went and put away all the basketballs. I was still in awe of his answer. That dad just taught his kids to disrespect other people. I prayed for them and just shook my head. As I was walking back to join Rene I saw the same family leaving in their van for somewhere. There must have been some family squabble and I heard the dad say "Why don't you kids listen to me"? I laughed so hard inside that I almost laughed out loud. The table had already turned on  dad. He received the law of the harvest. You reap what you sow!

Galatians 6:7-10New International Version (NIV)
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

If we want our kids to respect us, we need to teach them to respect others also. You can't teach them with a double standard. It just won't work.

This basketball court has been great for blogger fodder. Swimming pool today???

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment