Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Finish The Race 12/28/2016

Good Morning,

Waking up is always pleasant when you can smell the Door County Harvest Blend Coffee before you open your eyes. I wonder if there is coffee in heaven?

Sitting on a table in my den is a lamp. Pictured above is the base of the lamp. The lamp was given to me when I retired from Youth Work. The inscription has Acts 20:24 engraved on it.

Acts 20:24New International Version (NIV)
24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

When I use the lamp or look at it, the statue reminds me of how much duck hunting reminds me of God. In order to bag a duck I have to go out. God commands us to go out into all the world. I have to carry a weapon. God gives us His Word to use as we go out and it is sharper than a two edged sword. I need to aim at the ducks before I shoot. When I shoot I have to block out all distractions in order to hit my target. God expects us to keep our focus on Him.
Once a duck is down I send out my dog to retrieve the duck. I have trained him daily. God expects us to teach our children to observe His commands. The dog retrieves and comes and sits at the masters feet. God expects us to obey and complete our tasks in a humble way. As a hunter praises his dog God desires to say "Well done good and faithful servant".

When people come to our home they see this lamp and a whole bunch of taxidermied ducks in my den. I see some treasures also, but I see God in all of them.


It's more than a lamp to me.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment