Friday, December 16, 2016

Climbing To The Top Can Have It's Issues. 12/16/2016

Good Morning,

My Coffee is a surprise to me and I am blessed to have it. We stayed at our daughter's home for the night and are headed out and about today once more. Tonight we will be celebrating her birthday and Christmas all in one.



The other night when I was standing in the lobby of the resort where we are staying, I heard a young lad say to his father. Dad, I sure would like to climb that Christmas tree." The boy was pointing to the large Christmas tree in the lobby. I thought to myself, "what a disaster that would be". I sized up the little guy and looked him over and assessed that I believed he could make it to the top, but there would be some major damage on the way up and the way down. That is of course if he didn't fall from the tree, then of course he also would be damaged. I looked at the little guy again and assumed that this tree would not be his first rodeo. He was measuring that tree up like a pro. But dad's swift hand and an available collar on a shirt rescued the tree from an assault.

I witnessed one kid messing up a Christmas tree about twelve years ago and it wasn't pretty. Life has many people who have established their goal in life as to get to the top of their job, hobby, school, or church. This is a good goal for many, but it's how we achieve the goal that counts. Do we neglect our families just to be at the top of our company? Do we play golf or hunt and miss church? Do we abuse our bodies with energy drinks to get one point further on an exam? All these goals can be good, if we are doing them for the right reasons and if they don't leave a path of destruction while attaining them. I doubt that too many people who are laid out on their death bed ever really say, " I should have golfed more, I could have cut down my score and would have been the top golfer in the home for the aged."

All things should be done to glorify the Lord and done in a way that does not damage ourselves or others. Knowing how far to go toward the top of anything is the key. That is to be between you and God. But we need to take time to consult with Him. Notice that the young boy verbally stated his wish. Dad denied the wish. If the boy had acted upon the wish or dream, without permission, the picture above would be a whole lot different.

God first, family second, we are third. Is a good motto to live by.

1 Corinthians 10:23-32English Standard Version (ESV)
23 “All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up. 24 Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor. 25 Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. 26 For “the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof.” 27 If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. 28 But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience— 29 I do not mean your conscience, but his. For why should my liberty be determined by someone else's conscience? 30 If I partake with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of that for which I give thanks?
31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Think that life climb through. Ask these questions.

1 Why am I doing this?

2. Does God want me to?

3. Is there any harm to anyone else in making the climb?

4. Is everything I am doing to get there moral?

Well if you can answer those and they are all positive. Then enjoy the climb and give God all the glory.

God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment