Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Playing Basketball With An Antique 12/13/2016

Good Morning,

The Door County White Christmas Coffee just finished brewing and my cup awaits me. This looks to be a fine day for weather, About 83 degrees will come our way. Only a few more days and we head back to the frozen tundra.



Yesterday I had a lot of paperwork to do regarding our Dad's estate and it went pretty well. Rene wrote out some Christmas cards and then decided she was going for a work out. The resort we are staying at has a more than adequate fitness center. She asked me if I wanted to come along and I declined. My goal was to complete my work and then take this antique body of mine and go to the basketball court to shoot baskets in the sun.  Rene gave me a funny look, I am sure she was wondering if I would survive the heat, basketball, and my age.

I was the only one there and my first shot went right in. But to my surprise they had just changed the nets and the ball would not come all the way through. The basketball was stuck! In my younger days I would have jumped up and swatted it, thus causing it to come down. I knew one attempted jump like that and my old knees would pop for sure. But stupid is as stupid does. I tried reliving the old days and gave it a try. Well I made it and am truly sorry today that I did. My knees did not pop but I am as sore as sore can be today. I continued shooting some baskets on another hoop with an old net. And let's just say that my shooting percentage showed it's age also.

I think we all do things like that from time to time, pushing the limits when we actually know better. So this morning I am washing down Ibuprofen with my coffee and oatmeal. The Holy Spirit warned me but my ego got in the way and now I am paying for it.

We need to heed advice given. When sound advice is given and we don't take it, we might just have to suffer the consequences. This blog is my testimony to foolishness on my part.

Proverbs 12:15English Standard Version (ESV)
15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes,
    but a wise man listens to advice.

It is hard to admit that I can't do all the things I did when I was younger and the Holy Spirit gave me an out and a way to get the ball down, by just throwing another basketball at the net. My stubbornness gave me a set of sore knees today. I will be fine. The sore knees just remind me of being a fool. When I get home I might sell my basketball, but not my football!

God bless. Listen to good advice today.

Marty



Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment