Friday, December 30, 2016

No Reason To Worry 12/30/2016

Good Morning,

Wow this weather is like a roller coaster. Up and down and at times it seems to turn me upside down. I just filled my Thermos bottle with Door County Christmas Coffee and I will soon be headed down the road to work.

I remember a time when our grandson and daughter were flying in for a visit. At that time the little dude was quite a handful and could disappear by wandering off in less than a heartbeat. I prayed for them to have safe travels and then called as many people as I could to have them pray also. While waiting in the airport I was pacing the lobby as passengers were coming from the plane. It was a large plane and many people were exiting the concourse. I did not see our child and her son. I proceeded to worry and exclaim to Rene that there must be a problem.

I actually was upset with Rene for not sharing in my worries. She was content to watch and wait. She did say that "it might be taking a little time for mom to get her little buddy rounded up and down the concourse. I was totally convinced that he was stuck in the cargo hold ready to fly off to Europe or something. I just knew it. I was devising my plan to storm the airplane and rescue Junior from a life overseas when I saw Kristy coming with a big bag and a sleeping little boy in her arms.

Later I was so tired from all the worrying I had been doing. No matter what happened or didn't happen, worrying was not going to make a difference. No one ever said from their death bed, "I wish I would have worried more".

Worry is one of the areas of my Christian walk that I struggle continuously with. I am always needing to read scriptures and be reminded that God has asked us not to worry but to trust Him completely. It is this reassurance and these Bible verses about worry that help during stressful times or times filled with anxiety.



Matthew 6:25-27  “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
Matthew 6:34  Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matthew 11:28-30  Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Luke 12:25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his  span of life?
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
 
Jesus has a lot to say about worrying. And in a nutshell He pretty much says not to worry.  The verses I listed above would benefit those who worry too much. I recommend that we memorize these and keep them in our hearts for those times when the worry bug hits us. 
 
Have a great worry free day.
 
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment