Friday, December 2, 2016

Haiti On The Christmas Tree 12/2/2016

Good Morning,

Friday came at last. I knew it would. The countdown to our open house and Christmas Caroling is down to 36 hours. I filled a cup with Door County Christmas Coffee and now it is time to write.



Last summer while on a short term mission trip to Haiti our team made toys for the little children out of buttons. Instead of them being used as spinning tops, many of the kids wore them as necklaces. Some of the wee ones wanted to make necklaces. So we let them make their own and I tied a few knots for our little busy bees. One little boy decided that he wanted me to wear one. I graciously took the gift he made for me and wore it. Just recently while going through my suitcase I found my treasure from my little friend.

Rene and I like to decorate our Christmas tree with garland made from buttons. Not being one to wear necklaces I decided that I could weave this button into our garland. It matched perfectly and it warmed my heart as I thought about the trip and the little guy who gave me the button. I decided that it was a good idea to pray for him and thank God for the trip and now the memory. The thought of that little fella and his willingness to give me something when I could buy as many buttons as I want, taught me a lesson. This little man lives in an orphanage and has nothing. Yet he wanted to share, not hoard, what we had brought for them. He shared out of the abundance of his heart. He was looking for some companionship and love that day. What he will never know is how he touched my heart. He made me think about how Christmas should be for sharing. Only I know where the button is woven into the tree. But God knows that the button was woven into my heart and that this old man could learn a lesson from a four year old boy.

Luke 6:38English Standard Version (ESV)
38 give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.

Will you weave the button of sharing this Christmas into your heart? Will you do it to love others without any expectations?  I hope so.

Hey 23 days until Christmas!

Love to all,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment