Tuesday, October 18, 2016

I Don't Want You To! 10/18/2016

Good Morning,

Tuesday and I will be welcoming a new employee to the team today. So to celebrate I made some Door County Raspberry Butter Crunch Coffee to start my day.

1 Thessalonians 5:11

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

Last month I was listening to two newlyweds discussing life. We were out to eat with them and after we finished eating and we were on our way home I made the remark to Rene that I did not give too much hope to their marriage lasting very long. Her reply wasn't a surprise. She explained that while we were eating she too was listening to them and instead of rushing through her meal so we could leave she began to pray for them. After fifteen minutes of listening to each of them trying to boss the other one around I was late for the door. It was like two boxing bears.



No matter what either one said about the their future, like purchasing a bicycle the other would say "I don't want you to. They are too dangerous".  Or "I think I will go shopping at the mall Friday after work". "I don't think that is a good idea. Malls are a hangout for kids". It seemed to me that they were not acting like a husband and wife but more like parents to each other.

Husbands and wives need to be able to express their ideas and opinions. If the idea is truly dangerous and unreasonable then it should be discussed. If there is a strong objection, it should be made in private, not in front of others producing shame for their partner.

I tried changing  the subject and mentioned a couple of Bible studies that Rene and I completed when we were first married. That was good until the husband said that he really liked the Living Bible Version. We heard how the King James Bible was what she preferred. I think they just liked to disagree.

I wondered what two twenty somethings were doing hanging out with us two antiques. Now I knew. Their contemporaries had to be tired of the small senseless disagreements. Their constant inability to build each other up in front of others was driving friends away.

We might not always agree with our spouses but we should never argue or correct them in front of other people. We should use words of affirmation and words that build up the other partner. What we say about our spouses in the company of others leaves a lasting impression on those who have heard it. They don't really know the whole person. They just know the person you correct or run down.

Think about it. How does your speech portray your partner?

Have a great day!

Marty

2 comments: