Friday, October 7, 2016

Finding Your Way Home 10/7/2016

Good Morning,

Friday showed up as promised and I for one am very pleased. This cup of Door County Caramel Apple Coffee sitting next to me at the desk is tempting me to have two!



It doesn't take much for me to find my way to my Dad. Even though the highway to his house is unlit and very dark at night. The road sign with reflectors tells this weary traveler that I made it when I go for a visit to the North Woods of Michigan.

I usually drive up there on Friday nights and the trip is usually about five hours. The winter weather has made that trip quite interesting sometimes. It always feels good to see that sign, turn right and go down the hill to a warm house and a hot cup of coffee. Dad made sure that we can find our way in the dark and worst weather.

Our Heavenly Father has done the same thing for us. He sent Jesus to show us the way home. Like the turn to Dad's place, there is only one way. It is the direct route and leads straight home.

John 14:6New International Version (NIV)
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

I have heard about people who say they are "seeking the meaning of life" searching for something that is missing. They wander through life like orphans who cannot find a parent. When all the time Jesus is pointing them to the Father and membership in the family of God.

I see churches measuring success with attendance numbers, which is good. I see them measuring success with how many different ministries they have. These are good and are blessings. But one measure that isn't taken into consideration is the intensity that the membership shows and knows that they are members of the Family Of God. That alone leads to greater attendance and more ministries because of the excitement of knowing who they belong to.

Jesus is the way to the Father. But when we join the family and know some day that we are going home, is there the excitement of knowing that we have been adopted into the Family? Now that is exciting and stops all the listless searching.

Hey! You can't get there without accepting the Guide.

Marty

2 comments: