Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Teenagers and Fun 4/3/2013

Good Morning,

Started today with a Hot Cup of Door County Highlander Grog coffee.

Last Friday night I received via Facebook that one of my nephews had accomplished a goal in school. earlier in the week his brother also had a good thing happen for him.

I called to congratulate him and while we were speaking had an idea. Why not celebrate tonight with a meal somewhere. Now these two are older teenagers. We have lived close for many years. When they were little I would ask  if I could pick them up and go for breakfast. Oh! Those were good times. They were a hoot! One of them would always spill something and we would have so many laughs.

So I asked if they might like to spend some time with their Aunt and Uncle on short notice. Now Fridays for a teen are usually busy doing anything but spending time with old people. They replied "sure". We met for dinner and I noticed that these two were no longer little boys anymore. I don't know why it took this long to see it. We had a good time and are usual laughs. No spilling occurred.
Another sign of growing up. But our table was alive with stories, congratulations and just plain good talk. Not once did they look at their watch or say "well we have to go".

The night ended and I hurt inside a little. My two little buddies were grown. But I was proud to be part of their lives. I am sure we will spend more time together over the years if God wills. But this night was special to me as I recalled all the "old days".  Spend time with teens, don't write them off as "they would not enjoy this." They love to be included.  Celebrate with them, love them, teach them, and enjoy them.

God has something to say about spending time with kids and teens.
Proverbs 19:21
Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.
Ecclesiastes 7:14
When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future.
1 Peter 5:2-3
Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; 3 not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.

Enjoy a teen. It starts with a kid. Live, Love and Laugh with one today.

God bless.
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment