Monday, March 25, 2019

Prayer, Keep It Simple 3/25/2019

Good Morning World!

Monday has arrived right on time and at the end of this week we have the joy of having our daughter here for a visit. I just poured a cup of Door County Vanilla Creme Brulee Coffee and it is time to write.

Yesterday I stated that I wanted to do a three day look at prayer. Today is day two and we will look at a method I use to pray. I keep it simple and straight from the heart. I am not a good speaker or orator. Yet I know that I can speak to God just in the same way I am writing. He is just happy to hear from me.

We might think we have to pray powerful, exact, persuasive words for God to hear us, but in reality He listens even to our shortest tired prayers.
“The fewer the words, the better the prayer,” said Martin Luther.
We can talk to God the way we talk to a friend or family member. I do however remember Who I am praying to and give God the respect He deserves and desires. I don't start with "Hey Buddy!" I do try to imitate Jesus and start with My Father in Heaven like Jesus said "Our Father Who Art In Heaven". Or Dear Heavenly Father. I pray as long as it takes to state my case or intercede for others. My phrases are simple and to the point, like Lord please heal my relative. This gives me more time to pray for many. God hears our requests and doesn't need me to tell Him that what He might be wearing is awesome. Like Eddie Haskell would do to Mrs. Cleaver on Leave it to Beaver. I always add a thank you for loving me and for hearing me out. I also take time to say thank you for answered requests.

Have you ever had a one-sided conversation with someone who talked continually without listening to you? The conversation didn’t go very far, did it? We do the same thing to God when we pray without reading the Bible His letter of love, instructions,  and wisdom to each one of us on earth. Reading Scripture helps us get to know God. It brings life and body to our prayers. It gives us conversation with God.
If you want to have a more effective conversation with God, read Scripture.. Pause in the Word to pray over a verse that bumps  you, asking God to work that truth into your heart and life.

God speaks through His Word and we should always be open to His leadership, comfort, and His will.

Tomorrow we will discuss when to pray.

Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment