Saturday, March 2, 2019

Look At The End Of Your Own Arm 3/2/2019

Good Morning World!

Well I think we will still be able to ski in March, more snow came down last night and I am watching it snow right now. Since there is nothing I can do about the weather, I will sit here and write, while enjoying a cup of Door County Highlander Grog Coffee.

I am led to comment on laziness today. I have been observing a young man lately who despite a booming economy just can't seem to land a good full time job that will help him to feed his family and keep a roof over their heads. I will start by saying this. I have worked with a lot of people and have observed a lot of people working. This particular young man and his wife are two of the most diligent, educated , hard working people I have ever watched. Yet, misfortune after misfortune falls on them,

For instance, he landed a job. He called the job "The Promised Land". Within two months of being hired the company was sold and his position was eliminated. This type of thing has been going on for the last three years. He works three not so hot jobs to just barely make a go of it. His wife has two children to take care of and she works one job as well as takes care of the kids. In addition she takes in difficult sewing jobs and is excellent at repairing coats with large zippers.



Our young friends asked us to pray for them so that gainful employment would be obtained. Our  friend had a job interview coming up and I am happy to say. HE WAS HIRED!!!

But prior to that Rene and I had been gifted two turkey certificates from our place of employment. Most of you don't know us well, but we have a turkey in our freezer at all times. So to go and purchase two more wasn't needed and would be foolish and selfish to do so. We hung on to the certificates and decided to redeem one and give it to this family as a gesture of kindness. The family accepted our gift of turkey and as I was leaving I just had to compliment them. I let them know how much they impressed me by working as hard as they are doing. Their response warmed my heart right to the core. " We thank you so much for your prayers. This turkey is really needed right now and some day with God's help we will pay it forward to someone else. We both learned from our parents when we were children that if we needed a helping hand we should look at the end of our own arms before asking others for help. We were taught not to be lazy, and  hard work always pays off. God knows what we needed and has provided all that we have. He at times provided three jobs for us at one time. Our kids watched and learned the lesson to not be lazy. For that we are grateful"

I am happy to say that they are doing well. Mom still works and takes in sewing, Dad will be down to one job soon after they pay off some bills. He is looking forward to spending more time with the family and building a sewing room for his wife. She will then quit her job and work out of the home with a better work environment.

Now, I have observed others that when unemployed turn down jobs because it wasn't a good fit, borrow money from friends and family to live on. Better yet, "I will just stay unemployed for awhile, live off of social help. I earned a rest". Some have rung up huge credit card bills and then claimed bankruptcy because they weren't willing to do whatever it took to get by. This my friends was foolish laziness and pride. I asked a man one time to help me bring home a large hog that we purchased. It was butchered wrapped and frozen and my arm was in a sling. He was unemployed and I was willing to pay for his help. My intent was to give him half of the hog. His reply was, "it is Saturday and I always watch my old college play football team. Sorry, maybe this other guy can help." It wasn't too long after that when a call came in asking me to donate to help this family pay their bills. I was not led to help. God's Word makes it very clear that we are instructed to work hard and put our best effort forward. The Bible, especially in the wisdom-filled book of Proverbs, speaks often of the cause and effect relationship of hard work and rewards as well as laziness and ruin. Colossians 3:23 tells us a Christian should "work with all their heart as working for the Lord". Our work is probably one of the greatest testimonies of our faith!

Laziness has no place in the character of a follower of Jesus.
 Let's see two more key verses.

1 Timothy 5:8 New King James Version (NKJV)
But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.


Proverbs 10:4 New King James Version (NKJV)
But the hand of the diligent makes rich.He who has a slack hand becomes poor,

Our young friend had three part time jobs at one time. One was not a very attractive job and with his skills for most people it would be beneath them to clean up dog kennels at a dog boarding facility. In plain English he cleaned up poop. His employer was saddened when he left. He did an outstanding job as a poop cleaner. But guess who was told to come back anytime if they desired to obtain a free puppy for their family?

Their work ethic says volumes about this young couple.

Marty



No comments:

Post a Comment