Friday, March 29, 2019

An Old Rugged Cross 3/29/2019

                                          


Good Morning,
Happy Friday to you. My coffee cup is filled with Sunrise In Door County today.
  1. Philippians 2:8
    And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
One of my favorite songs is an old hymn. The Old Rugged Cross is one that I could listen to every day.

"On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
the emblem of suffering and shame;
and I love that old cross where the dearest and best 
for a world of lost sinners was slain.
Refrain:
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown."

When I listen to or sing it I often feel tears well up in my eyes. I see many ornate crosses dangling from necks with gold chains. I have nothing against that at all.  As a matter of fact I own one or two.
But as I sing the words "the emblem of suffering and shame" the cross turns dark for me. I am reminded how ugly sin is, especially my own. Their ugliness deserved an ugly punishment. Rough wood, nails, blood, discomfort and searing pain along with death.

But as the song goes on I am reminded that this cross was a gift to me and you. It was the payment for our sins and someday I will be home in heaven. And when I think of the price paid for sin I am humbled and ashamed.

So from time to time when you see an ornate cross, close your eyes and picture the "Old Rugged Cross" and say thank you to the One who died for us.

God bless,
Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment