Friday, April 6, 2018

Uncertain Job Description 4/6/2018

Good Morning,

My Friday just started and that means a cup of Door County Blackberry Shortcake Coffee is waiting in the kitchen for me. It is a great day to be alive.



Every job that I have ever had comes with a job description. It includes all duties, job expectations, education requirements, a list of physical musts, and a basic description of the hours. I have never had a job description that chased me completely away from hiring on.

Now imagine reading a job description like this. Must love hazardous journeys. No wages or benefits provided. Uniforms are prohibited. Enemies will be plentiful. Expect persecution, possible hunger and returning is not probable. Eternal glory and treasure provided if you are successful. How many people would sign up for a job like this? 

 The Apostle Paul did. He followed God as he was called to do and brought the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a Gentile world. Paul was totally dependent upon God to provide safety, food, lodging and means of travel. Paul stayed in nice cold jails. He was shipwrecked , beaten, and criticized for his calling. Yet Paul declared that the reason he lived was for Jesus.

Philippians 1:21 New International Version (NIV)
21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

“To live is Christ” means that we are willing to give up anything that prevents us from having Christ. Paul’s testimony in this regard: “Whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him” Philippians 3:7-9

How many of us would be ready to take on this job description like Paul did? How about just for two weeks? Two days? Two hours?

I wonder?

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment