Saturday, December 2, 2017

Christmas Helpers For Childhood Cancer 12/2/2017

Good Morning.

Saturday is upon me and it looks to be a busy one. I am taking some time away from the busyness to enjoy a cup of door County Candy Cane Coffee and a quiet sit with our dog outside in the back yard. The frozen tundra will be arriving to our part of the world on Friday. Tonight is Christmas Caroling and fellowship at our home. Busy, busy, busy. So a quiet sit in somewhat warm weather is very comforting right now.

I promised that I would try to watch for people doing nice things for others during the days leading up to Christmas. I have two days in a row to write about. I believe Christmas brings out the best in people. I hope to witness more.

This one wasn't hard to find. A neighborhood close to where I work does an annual Christmas light and decorations display to benefit Childhood Cancer. I drove by on my way home and just knew that this one was it for today's blog. These people for years have labored to help children with cancer. Their displays of lights and decorations take a lot of work. It also has people driving by up and down their streets each night at times the traffic is bumper to bumper on their streets. But year after year new neighbor after new neighbor they continue this labor of love.

History

In December, 1984, a wonderful group of neighbors living in West Allis, Wisconsin, joined together to collect donations for the MACC Fund – Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer, Inc., in honor of a neighbor's child diagnosed with cancer. The neighbors worked in concert in decorating their homes and encouraged visitors to make a small donation as they drove through the festively enhanced neighborhood. All of the money raised went to supporting research, treatment, and the eventual discovery of a cure for childhood cancers and related blood diseases.

Wow, Has It Grown

Wow has it grown! Since its inception, the neighborhood program has raised more than $2 million. More than $80,000 was raised last year alone! Visitors come from far and away to drive or stroll through this winter wonderland of holiday sights and sounds.

Matthew 18:10English Standard Version (ESV)
10 “See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

I would have to say that if you are near West Allis, Wisconsin you need to take 30 minutes and tour the neighborhood. You won't regret it. If you can afford to drop a few dollars or some change in the collection buckets I am sure it will be appreciated. I placed some more pictures below for your viewing.

Merry Christmas Day 2!!!

Marty

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment