Friday, February 20, 2015

The Lion Sleeps Tonight 2/20/2015

Good Morning.

Yesterday I celebrated another year of life. It was a very nice day and I was blessed to hear from many friends and family. This morning my coffee pot is gurgling forth with Door County Highlander Grog. That brew will soon be filling my travel cup as I leave home and head to work.

Psalm 127 New King James Version (NKJV)
127 Unless the Lord builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the Lord guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain.
It is vain for you to rise up early,
To sit up late,
To eat the bread of sorrows;
For so He gives His beloved sleep.

 
The weather has been pretty cold in this part of the country. So last night I built a nice fire and watched as our dog Gibbs backed up and rested next to the blaze. Not too long into his rest I could see that he was sound asleep. I wanted to warm up myself so I grabbed a small pillow and joined Gibbs in front of the fire. It wasn't long at all before I dozed off. Maybe an hour later I heard Rene talking to herself and she was laughing. In my dazed state I heard her say, "Look at the two mighty hunters. I guess the Lion sleeps tonight." She padded off enjoying her home grown version of the movie the Lion King. As I woke up from a nice nap and thought about the fire, the dog, my wife and life in general I could not help but be content. For an hour there wasn't any work to do. For an hour there wasn't a bill to pay. For an hour there wasn't any cold weather. For an hour, my small aches and pains were gone. For an hour I was blessed to be at rest. Rest and sleep come from God and I knew last night that I would never again take it for granted. Our sleep is a gift from God.
 
So when you are tired and need to rest, know that God is calling you to take care of yourself. He loves you so much that He wants you to rest.
 
God bless,
 
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment