Sunday, May 11, 2014

Slow Smoked Pork For Mom 5/11/14

Good Morning,

Sunday and It is Mothers Day. My Coffee Today is Door County Highlander Grog. Enjoy church if you can with your Mother.

My Mother went to be with the Lord a few years back. I do miss her and look forward to seeing her again in Glory some day. On Saturday while our home was being painted I was smoking a large pork shoulder which today will be smothered with barbecue sauce. My Mom loved things with barbecue sauce. She had this uncanny knack for getting sauce on whatever she was wearing during her dinner. This still makes my wife and I chuckle.

 Our Mom taught us kids many things. How to cross the street without getting killed. All three of us have accomplished that so far in life. We learned from Mom how to tie our shoes and make toys from buttons and strings.  All three of us learned how to cook. I must say that the cooking lessons were ones that all three of us excelled in. My sister can make cup cakes to die for, my brother can make pork chops that are out of this world. I can barbecue ribs and pork and there is never any left overs.

Mom also spent time teaching me how to hit a baseball left handed at the plate. She taught me to keep my eye on the ball and swing fast. My dad perfected that swing by letting me chop wood. The chopping developed hand and eye coordination as well as strength.

One Mothers day many years ago I was in a baseball tournament. My Mom was in town and my wife and mother came to watch the game. As I approached the plate my Mom asked me to try and hit a home run for her. ( No added pressure there). The first pitch was just right and it ended up over the right field fence. That day provided 5 trips to the plate for me and 5 home runs for Mom. She beamed with pride. (Sorry, this is not bragging about a great game day just a fact) . Later she told me that she was proud and that the home runs I should also hit were to be for God and family.

I wish I could say that all my days since, that my life batting average for God and Family was 1000. I think about that day now. When I was little and she would toss the ball to me in the back yard, it was more than baseball to her. She was teaching me to try and swing for the fence or pass on a pitch if it was bad in my adult life for God and Family. Unfortunately I have taken some bad life pitches from time to time and came up with a big fat strike out in life. I think we can all say that now.

So today, go back in time and remember at least one of the good things you were taught and apply it to God and Family today.

Philippians 1:9-11
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ-to the glory and praise of God.

Have a wonderful day,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment