Sunday, May 18, 2014

Lilac Explosion 5/18/2014

Good Morning,

I hope your Saturday was a good one. My coffee this morning is Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti from the Door County Coffee Company. 

Job 12:7-9        
“But ask the beasts, and they will teach you; the birds of the heavens, and they will tell you; or the bushes of the earth, and they will teach you; and the fish of the sea will declare to you. Who among all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this?

Yesterday I spent a good portion of the day in our yard performing some chores like mowing the lawn, trimming the fence line and pruning some bushes. I tend to watch the yard with a little more intensity right about now than I do the rest of the year. We have several lilac bushes, apple trees, flowering crab apples and rose bushes spread out on the property. Each year I can usually tell a day or two before when everything will bloom. It seems as if they all open on cue together except for the rose bushes. They open later and last longer. But our yard for a few short days smells like lilacs and the fruit trees are one of the most beautiful displays of color and promise every year. I thought for sure today would be the day. A few small blossoms have opened on the lilacs and the trees look ready, but I think it will be another day or two. I look forward to this every year. We purposely planted one of the lilac bushes near our bedroom. If the weather cooperates we can open a window when the lilac explosion takes place and go to sleep and then wake up to that fragrance that will only be there for a few days.

This doesn't sound too manly for the guy who mostly writes about hunting and fishing. Well the lilacs blooming are usually a sign that it is time to catch crappies near shore.

But every man needs to take time to enjoy the seasons that present themselves. I am not much of a fisherman so I am pretty much in between seasons. It won't be long and I will be preparing for the early goose season.  But for now it is a little rest and time to smell the lilacs. Many people mark the year as beginning in January. I really don't pay much attention to the New Years hype. The time that I place my thoughts around are when our yard comes to life and I ponder as to how many more lilac explosions I will experience. It then reminds me to be thankful for all the explosions we have enjoyed here through the years. I recall vividly what used to be a muddy mess for a couple of years and how small the trees and shrubs used to be. I remember planting each and everyone of the trees and shrubs and replacing a few on occasion. So today I look out into the small portion of the world God has given Rene and I to be stewards of and I do not see the wars, the crimes, the disasters, the hurt, work issues or the pain. I know they are still there but for a short while they are not on my mind. I spent time in the garden. Maybe the silent explosion takes place tomorrow!

God bless,
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment