Saturday, February 23, 2019

The Benefit Of The Harvest, Goose Chili 2/23/2019

Good Morning World!

My mug was just filled with Door County Cherry Creme Coffee. It's one of what I like to call my "Comfort Flavors". Last week was a rough one. The last two days of returning to work took their toll and I am moving slow today. But with each day, these old legs are getting stronger. Rene and I did more rehabilitation work at the gym last night and where I was two weeks ago has long been laid to rest. The numbers are looking better and I face the ultimate opinion with my physical therapist and doctor next week. I still have a long way to go, but the road is shorter and more steady now.



Last night was a special one for me. I decided to call it harvest night. We dined on chili made with goose meat, the tomato base was from our garden last summer. The onions were from the same garden. Our dessert was ice cream, which we had to purchase, but the apple topping came from the abundant crop of last fall.  The goose meat was harvested while hunting with friends and family. I recalled one major bang up of a day, who I was with and how much we were blessed to harvest a lot of geese.

Of course, before we ate , we gave thanks to God who really was the One who provided everything at the table.


Psalm 107:1 New International Version (NIV)
    his love endures forever.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;

What I am trying to spit out today is that the dinner was special. I have returned to work after 8 weeks of double knee replacement surgery and rehabilitation.  I survived the first two days of work. Rene announced her retirement date this week and today and tomorrow will be  days of rest. So it was a celebration and we ate what we planted and hunted. It was a very simple dinner that reminded me of blessings from last year and how grateful we should be.

It felt good just to wander back in my mind and picture, the hunt, the tomato vines hanging heavy with the red ripe vegetables, pulling the onions and then freezing them.  My favorite memory was remembering  the apple trees loaded beyond loaded with fruit. I was quiet during our meal, which is unusual for me. Rene asked me if I was OK. I just replied, "the food is great, the memories are better. I am counting our blessings Babe"

Take time to be grateful. Enjoy the good memories today.

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment