Tuesday, February 12, 2019

February Blizzard 2/12/2019

Good Morning World,

I am sitting at the kitchen table where I am contemplating the weather and how to match my coffee flavor to the blizzard outside. I have decided that Door County White Christmas Coffee will be the flavor of the day.  It seems appropriate.



It is not uncommon to have a blizzard in February where we live so for me it means I just go with the flow. The snow will melt and go away and then spring will come with a ton of yard work to do. That's life where we live.


Psalm 107:28-29 English Standard Version (ESV)

    and he delivered them from their distress.
29 He made the storm be still,
    and the waves of the sea were hushed.

28 Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,

But! Yesterday I watched the preparations for a snow event. Whitetail deer were moving toward more winter cover for the night and they were foraging for more food than normal. The local gas station had more cars than normal filling up with gasoline. The gas is always nice to have for two purposes. You never want to run out of it in a snow storm and the added weight of the liquid helps to keep your car from sliding around. The squirrels were busy loading up on grub also. The bird feeders had an ample supply of winged visitors.

My wife, Rene set the alarm clock to go off earlier than normal so she would have more time to drive to work. She refused to let me drive her in today. So she put on her big girl pants and "games on"!

Where is this babble taking us? Well, in life the blizzards or storms come each day. Families are busier than ever. Schedules are packed and stacked. If it's not one kid, it's two that need a little more attention on certain days. And it's usually on the day that one of the cars has a flat tire. My advice it not always easy to swallow or follow. But as the animals knew that a storm was coming and prepared the day before, we too knew it was coming. Whenever possible be prepared for something to change during the day. But, better yet, try to get those calendars under control. Learn to say no to some events that can take a no answer. For instance, kids and sports. Limit the sports. Does a child have to play football, basketball, and then track or baseball? Not really. Add two or more kids to the list and you have a "family circus". Learn to limit yourself to make sure you aren't grocery shopping at midnight. In all of the hustle and bustle, I wonder if people have enough time to pray. 

Last night, I placed the frying pan out on the stove. The ham was chopped, and the eggs mixed, and the butter was ready. In the event something happened or the storm was worse cereal was the back up plan for Rene's breakfast. Now this was done without the television turned on last night, so I could prepare for my part of Blizzard Tuesday.  Something had to go in order to adjust to the snow issue of the day. We have learned too much to multi task. I was listening to a young man tell me about his blood pressure last night, but he's too busy to take care of himself. I over did it yesterday in my exuberance to recover from knee replacements. I could have backed off a little, knowing that today was going to be a rough one. So as I sit here writing, I am wearing ice packs on two sore knees. Fortunately I made sure there was plenty of frozen assistance in the freezer before going to bed last night. I made a few trips to the freezer in the middle of the night and was glad that I was prepared.

So the word of the day is slow down! Trim the schedules. Take back your life, so you can think clearly and then when a storm or problems come, you can address them with a level head. Try to limit the "oops, shouldn't have done that" whenever possible.  Take time, make time for daily prayer and Bible reading. Keep in touch with the Master of all days.


God bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment