Tuesday, December 25, 2018

When You Can't Celebrate Christmas At Home 12/25/18

Good Morning,

Merry Christmas to all of you. I kicked off my day with a big cup of Door County White Christmas Coffee and a small fire in the fireplace. The weather is very damp outside and the coffee and the fire are helping this sore hunter to get going.



Rene and I both chose our health care professions a million years ago. Needless to say that along with hospital duty comes weekend and holiday work hours. Everyone takes their turn working Christmas and the other holidays. While many are waking up to the sound of Christmas presents being opened, someone is answering the call of duty in many ways this morning. Our military does not take a day off for Christmas, the police and fire departments are there 24/7 and aren't we glad they are! Air traffic controllers keep the skies safe. There is a long list of people that are working today to serve others. Now there are those who are forced to work for instance in grocery stores and liquor emporiums to make sure you have your egg nog and rolls that you forgot. I for one say that if you forgot the butter, too bad! Stay home. It should have been on your list. You forgot it and now do without.

There have been quite a few Christmas mornings when either Rene or I were away from home because it was our turn to pull hospital duty. I went through that a couple of years ago. Instead of moping, I prayed about having a plan to make Christmas for others better.

Here is what I did a couple years ago to enjoy Christmas?

"I forgot to mention that this place smells great. Why you ask? Well an hour ago I started baking ham that is seasoned just a little, and soon I will be taking it to the hospital where Rene works along with some hard rolls, and a cake. Now I am not competing for the husband of the year award here. I already won that too many times!! LOL. But when our heart beats for others it beats best. Have you considered taking some cookies to the fire department today? You see that is what Christmas is all about. Christmas is best when you make it about others. Jesus did."

John 3:16New International Version (NIV)
16 For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.


"Jesus came on Christmas day so others might live. He set the example for what Christmas should be. You are only as lonely today as you choose to be. I for one get to visit a bunch of well fed care givers who are serving others by choice. You can do the same. Someone is serving us somewhere and you can say thank you.  Our church helped to stuff shoe boxes with gifts for children around the world as well as other churches and organizations have done. Some kids somewhere are opening two that we sent. We might not be there in person, but our hearts are."

You have a choice today. You can make Christmas great for someone else or not. I tell you the truth. I am the winner. Our house smells awesome, and in an hour or so I get to see my wife for a couple minutes. Eventually she will be home today and later we will start the grill. But as for me and the dog, we will serve today and enjoy what Christmas really is.

Have a Merry Christmas! I am!!!!

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment