Sunday, December 16, 2018

Psalm 23 Thought For Christmas

Good Morning.

Sunday Morning and I am off to work in my Jeep with a thermos filled with Door County Apple cobbler Coffee. I was able to reach my memory vault as I watched our dog Gibbs out in the yard this morning,



 A few years ago when Gibbs was a puppy and we still had our dog Fritz I was greeted at 5:AM by  both dogs who wanted to go out and then be fed. They really don't care that the alarm was set for 5:30. I could smell the coffee brewing already so I dressed, grabbed my coffee cup and went outside with them in the dark. I had concluded that our youngest dog Gibbs is afraid of the dark, shadows in the night, and weird noises. We had a plastic snowman in the front yard that is illuminated at night. The lights from the street had Frosty casting a strange shadow on the yard and the wind had the shadow moving around. Each time this would happen Gibbs would retreat from the his morning exploring and run to be next to me to save him from the wrath of the plastic snowman. I found this quite funny. But it brought me to thinking about the 23rd Psalm. I have added some thoughts below for you to ponder.

Psalm 23:4

 (KJV)
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
 The valley of the shadow of death may denote the most severe and terrible affliction, or dark terrors of providence, that the psalmist ever could come under. Between the part of the flock on earth and that which is gone to heaven, death lies like a dark valley that must be passed in going from one to the other. But even in this there are words which lessen the terror. It is but the shadow of death: the shadow of a serpent will not sting, nor the shadow of a sword kill. It is a valley, deep indeed, and dark, and miry; but valleys are often fruitful, and so is death itself fruitful of comforts to God's people. It is a walk through it: they shall not be lost in this valley, but get safe to the mountain on the other side. Death is a king of terrors, but not to the sheep of Christ. When they come to die, God will rebuke the enemy; he will guide them with his rod, and sustain them with his staff. There is enough in the gospel to comfort the saints when dying, and underneath them are the everlasting arms.

The worst thing that could ever happen is not being saved by Jesus and lost for eternity to hell. Those who have called upon Jesus and have invited Him in to be Lord, Savior and Shepherd of their lives have no fear. The worst can never happen to them.

Make this a Christmas to remember. Receive Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior today. Or pass this on to someone who might just need to hear these words.


  • (John 3:16) "¶ For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
  • (John 11:25-26) "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: {26} And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?"
  • (Acts 16:31) "And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."
  • (Romans 10:9-10) "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. {10} For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.


  • God bless,
    Marty

    No comments:

    Post a Comment