Monday, December 17, 2018

Forty Years Ago.12/17/2018

Good Morning,

I just started this day with prayer,  a cup of Door County Candy Cane Coffee and some grapes. I am looking forward to coming home tonight. I have a couple little projects that just reared their head yesterday. And they need to get done.



Forty years ago my life changed in a big way. I became a Dad and at 21 years of age, I had no clue as to what I was doing. Having only one child has not allowed me to practice what I learned with the first one on additional children. Having her turn forty today is another first for me. It was snowing that day and I can still remember that day like it was yesterday. I recall the first time she fell asleep on my chest. Those are precious memories.

As much as I would like to think that I have taught our little bundle of joy some things, I believe she has taught me just as many lessons.

At twenty one I already knew that going to work produced a pay check. But I learned that a little baby is totally reliant on their parents and it is a privilege to have a child. Not a duty, but a blessing is given to us with our children.

You learn that your responsibilities and priorities change and you need to grow up with your child. I am still growing and I still make mistakes.

The one thing I learned the hard way was that children need your time and sometimes it is just to sit and laugh with them. Last night we received a call from our daughter and we shared laughter. It was nice, but I wish I had spent more time laughing with her when she was a child. Dad's cannot always be serious, we have to learn to laugh with our children and experience the world through their eyes.


Ecclesiastes 3:4 English Standard Version (ESV)

a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;

So parents, laugh with your kids today. Be silly with them. Blow bubbles and snort. Just be a kid with them for awhile.Do this now. Before you know it, you are talking with a forty year old woman.

God Bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment