Sunday, December 30, 2018

Repent Is Not A Four Letter Word 12/30/2018

Good Morning,

My mug is still steaming with the Door County Cinnamon Hazelnut Coffee I poured a minute ago.  I am writing today from the kitchen table. I haven't mastered a lot of stairs as of yet. Two stairs are the limits of my travels within the house. These replacement knees have been doing a little barking at night. Today they are sore and wanting some ice attention.  I will pamper them once this is written.

Revelation 3:19 New King James Version (NKJV)
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent

In my discussions with others I hear that the word repent is not being used all that often in churches anymore. It seems as in our desire to reach the lost, we don't want to use words that might offend them. Reaching the lost is a good thing. But we need to reach them with the basic tools God has given us. Last time I checked in with God He didn't ask me if I thought He should re-write the Bible. I doubt that He has called on anyone to do so.



"The repentance (metanoia) called for throughout the Bible is a summons to a personal, absolute and ultimate unconditional surrender to God as Sovereign. Though it includes sorrow and regret, it is more than that. ... The words "repent," "repentance," and "repented" are mentioned over 100 times in the Bible"

2 Timothy 3:16-17 New King James Version (NKJV)
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2 Timothy 3:16 Clearly states that the Bible is the end all final word for believers and non believers. All the subjects covered within the Bible were addressed for our instruction and the teachings are more than sufficient for today. It is not our responsibility to worry about the fact that the Bible might seem offensive to some. The Bible has been described as a two edged sword. The last time I cut my finger, it hurt. The Word of God is used to convict, and pierce frozen unrepentant hearts.

Hebrews 4:12 New King James Version (NKJV)
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

God does not want a long drawn out process to repentance. He tells us to be zealous "Get it done" about repenting from our sins and denying our need of a Savior.

Let's get back to basics. Repent is not four letter word.

Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment