Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Pain Should Not Be An Identity 8/23/2016

Good Morning,

I sit here looking at the computer screen and my mind seems miles and miles away. I am here but my prayers are for a friend who has a missing daughter. Now that is emotional pain and to be written about for another day. My mug of Door County German Chocolate Cake Coffee is getting cold. It is time to get moving.

This is the last day that I will be writing about physical pain and how others endure and seem to overcome their plight.

About four years a go a friend of ours was spending his last days on Earth with cancer ravaging his body. I sat with him for a couple nights and it was obvious that he was in immense pain. He asked me if I could do a favor for him. I asked what it was and the answer surprised me. He asked me if I could arrange to have the member directory from our church delivered to him. He was going to pray through the directory for each person and as God led, he would call them and ask for prayer requests.

This was done and he made several calls. My home happened to be one of them. My friend asked me if we had any prayer requests. I told him I had one and it was for a man with cancer who was in a lot of pain. He knew I was talking about him. He told me the prayer would soon be answered and there would be no more pain for him. He passed away about five days later.

This man did not let pain and suffering become his identity. It had not defined his life. It easily could have and no one would have blamed him at all. But he was not going to be the one who complained all the time. He was a joy to sit with. The thought of him praying for me still warms my heart. What I remember of him now is not how he played the drums but how he prayed for others through the pain. I remember him as a warrior who was running the race to achieve the prize and he was sprinting at the end. His love for God and others defined him and his legacy.



Revelation 21:4New International Version (NIV)
‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’[a] or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

My friend was healed the moment he took his last Earthly breath. It wasn't exactly how we prayed for him, but in God's time he was healed beyond all measure.

How are you to deal with when you are in pain? Could you take time during your crisis to pray for others?  My friend's pain became a ministry.

God bless,

Marty

2 comments:

  1. What an inspirational man. In time of suffering and pain to be only thinking of others. Many lessons I can learn from this blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure did a job of setting the bar high. Much like I am sure you would do Paul.

      Delete