Sunday, August 7, 2016

August A Prelude To September. Count Your Blessings 8/7/2016

Good Morning,

I  woke up this morning and went directly outside for fresh air and to hear the sounds of morning. I grabbed a cup of Door County Cinnamon Pecan Ice Cream Coffee and went out for the serenade of morning.



I did hear the doves cooing and the distinct sound of cardinals in a tree. I was hoping to hear the flight of a small flock of geese that had been staying in a pond near by. Before my trip to Haiti they performed a regular fly by every day. But our area is battling a severe drought and the water source dried up. Geese are resilient and I am sure that they moved to water somewhere. I did rejoice when I heard two mallards quacking as they saluted me on their way somewhere. A mallard needs less water and these probably were living in a swimming pool in the neighborhood.

Earlier in the week I watched the local high school football teams start to assemble daily for practice. All of this signaled to me that fall is just around the corner. It will be time to harvest our apples again, eat apple cider donuts, watch the trees turn color, and  of course for me, break out the hunting gear and repaint the boat. Fall is the happiest time of the year for me. Mud over the tops of my boots, soggy sandwiches, the smell of a wet dog, the quack of the duck call, the honk of geese coming into a decoy spread, tired, aching bones, and a warm fire to come home to.

I work pretty hard at keeping my relationship with God on a good level. But somehow and I don't know why, but my time with God is so much more special when I am sitting in the fog, waiting for the sun to peek through, listening to my heart beat and praying or reading my small Bible with the help of a flashlight I know He gave me the nature to experience and cherish as a gift from Him. He knows how much at peace I am in the mud, rain, and cold. He warms my heart and it is truly more than I deserve. He has given me wonderful companions and dogs to enjoy.

Psalm 103:2-5New International Version (NIV)
Praise the Lord, my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
    and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
    and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

In the swamp I take the time to count my blessings and I count Jesus, family, friends church, ministry, job, nature and so many more. This annual thanksgiving count takes places in the swamp for me. Where or when do you stop to count your blessings? What triggers it for you? It's funny, when I take time to count my blessings I never stop to count any misery or problems and compile the "bad list". Because, when I count blessings they always would and will outweigh anything else. Counting our blessings is always being humble and giving thanks for everything in life. We are thankful for Jesus Christ who is everything. I am thankful for God's love. Appreciate everything in life because there are people who are starving and or in a way harder situation than you. Your bad days are someone's good days.

I suggest to all that you find your "swamp" and spend time there and take a few moments to count your blessings. It is good for the soul.

God Bless,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment