Monday, July 18, 2016

If That Isn't Love? 7/18/2016

Good Morning,
Monday snuck in with a whisper and it is here to stay. So let's make the best of it and as I drink my cup of Door County White Christmas I will write about love.

1 Peter 4:8New International Version (NIV)
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

I am old and my taste in music dates me a little. I love Gospel music but my favorite artist performing it is Elvis Presley. He has a style that I love and listen to often. One song in particular reminds me of God and my Dad.  "If That Isn't Love"



I am not trying to compare Dad and God. There is a difference for sure. I hear many of my contemporaries always talking about how their parents never told them that they were loved. They have spent thousands of dollars and endless hours on a psychiatrist's couch claiming that they never felt loved because it wasn't said. I also here people say " I am not sure Jesus loves me". I can answer to both claims from the lyrics of the song.

"If That Isn't Love" Elvis Presley

He left the splendor of heaven  Jesus left heaven to come to Earth. Dad went to work every day.
Knowing His destiny Jesus came to sacrifice His life for us.  Dad went without so we didn't.
Was the lonely hill of Golgotha  No one went with Him to help. Dad never asked for much either.
There to lay down His life for me. Jesus died for me. Dad fought in a war for us.
 
And if that isn't love
Then the ocean is dry It's not. I have been swimming in one.
There's no stars in the sky Yes there are. I saw one this morning.
And the little sparrows can't fly  Yes they do, I can watch them.
Yeah if that isn't love
Then heaven's a myth No it's not. I have a reservation.
There's no feeling like this Amen
If that isn't love
 
Even in death He remembered
The thief hanging by His side
Then he spoke of love and compassion Both showed love and compassion by their actions.
And He took him to paradise
 
And if that isn't love
Then the ocean is dry
There's no stars in the sky
And the little sparrows can't fly
Yeah if that isn't love
Then heaven's a myth
There's no feeling like this
If that isn't love
 
You see, actions speak louder than words. I know that Jesus loves me. He showed it by raising His hands on a cross. I know my Dad loves me, because I had clothing, we had food. I went to school. They corrected me and so did God.  My mother loved me. We had clean clothes. She helped with homework. Meals were cooked, too many to count. And by the way, God gave my Dad a job, and my mother the ability to raise us.
 
If that isn't love?
 
It is!
 
Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment