Sunday, July 10, 2016

Coffee, Donuts, Construction And God 7/10/2016

Good Morning,

The Wisconsin weather has produced one beautiful morning. Cool, crisp air with an awesome sunrise greeted me on the patio. I am blessed. My cup of Door County Pecan Cinnamon Ice Cream Coffee has eaten up the momentary chill in the air. I am alive and well, who could ask for more?



Yesterday morning I needed to check on a construction project at the medical center where I work. I knew there would be just a small crew working and it only seemed appropriate to bring donuts to work. I loaded a Thermos bottle with plenty of coffee and headed in. The day before I wasn't expressing complete joy about going to work on what is usually a day off. But I am considered faithful to my employer and they have been really good to me for a long time. So duty called and I answered appropriately. I had no idea that this was a meeting that God arranged. It was just what I needed.

1 Thessalonians 5:11
Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing

I shared my coffee with one of the construction engineers and opened the donuts. We had checked on the construction progress, saw that all was well and decided to "chew the fat on life" for awhile in the construction trailer. Soon our conversation turned to God, a little theology, a few Bible verses, and where we stood on life with Him.

Now the conversation wasn't all that deep in theology, but it was a sweet aroma to the heart and mind. I went away knowing that this appointment was divine and I will go so far as to say that it was just what we both needed. I drove away knowing that God made an appointment for me. I went reluctantly at first, but left better for having gone. I was relaxed, rested and more alive than I have been in a long time. The day wasn't consuming me. I had consumed part of the day.

We all need those days when we can sit alone with our Bibles, coffee and pray. But sometimes we just need the company of another to sit, talk about God, life, experiences and construction work.

When you by chance meet with others, is the conversation wholesome? Is it worth repeating? Would it be a place where if Jesus walked in for a cup of coffee and a donut would He be invited into the conversation? Jesus was a social person. Proof being, he traveled around with twelve guys. They ate together, slept on the same ground, shared a fire, they even went to weddings and holiday celebrations. Yes there were holy, serious times, but there was also every day life. Is God your Sunday conversation piece? Or is he both, the Sunday focus, but yet part of your every day experience? Saturday morning was much better by having Him part of the coffee and donuts. I went away very satisfied with my morning, but yet pondering a great question. We had an assortment of sweet treats. I wonder what kind of donut Jesus would have eaten?

Have a blessed day. You all blessed me by being part of it.

Marty

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Brother ... Your daily blog blessses, strengthens and encourages each of us who read it ... it's like Spiritual" coffee & doughnuts for each of us.
    We're praying for your upcoming Mission trip to Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary. Please pray for strength for Rene. She will be worried about me and her mom is having a real rough time right now. She is burning the candle at both ends.

      Delete